Sunday, December 14, 2008

Memories and Sock Monkeys


Dan and I thought it would be cool to get a new ornament every year since we got married (you know a little something to remind us what happened that year). So naturally this year we had to get something to represent our new little addition to the family. I could have gotten you know the "Baby's first year" ornament I have found some pretty cute ones but we wanted something a little more unique and thats when i found the adored sock monkey. And with our luck the purchase comes with a story. So the day after Thanksgiving we went christmas tree shopping. Well they didnt have any trees up yet so we went to the Antique/Flower shop next door (The Planted Earth, dont ever go there you will see why). Its a cute little shop with fun little trinkets that we were adoring (we as in, my sisters Angie and Bekah, my brother Luke and me). Well shortly after we got there I noticed that one of the workers coinsidentally needed to dust wherever we were. I pointed it out to my sister thinking that we were being spyed on so we didnt steal anything, I guess we are not the usual customers of an antique shop, figures. Well we then went up stairs to look at some vintage hats and jackets when Luke proceeded to try on an old War jacket, very cool. We then heard a screach from downstairs (and Im not exagerating we actually thought it was a parrot) saying "dont put that on, dont put that on" over and over, "thats over 100 years old and you will tear it" WOW. I dont think I have been yelled at like that since I poked holes in my sisters water bed. After being repremanded by a 50 some year old fashionably challanged store owner we felt very uncomfortable. Then to top it off the same worker from before shockingly needed to dust some pictures right next to where we were upstairs. I said "lets just go" and Bekah very loudly said, "YA we're being followed". We went to leave, well first buy my sock monkey which I realy didnt want to buy from her but I really wanted it and didnt know where else I could get it. While I was checking out the owner came out and said, not apologetically "ya I have tried on really old clothes and tore right through them" and Angie replied, "ya well we just dont like being yelled at from down the stairs", the owner didnt have a response to that. I really cannot believe that an owner would treat her customers so poorly, we felt like little hoodlums, as Im sure she would refer to us as such. In the end we ended up with a beautiful tree, and adorable ornament for Shad and a store added to my "will never shop at again" list. I found this ornament in my moms Christmas box and decided to put it on my tree, I hope she doesnt mind. I made this when I was in 1st grade I think, wasnt I so stinkin cute, that must be where Shad gets it from.

2 comments:

THE HAYES FAMILY said...

We have gotten Rylie an ornament every year for Christmas and Austin too...and when they leave and have their own tree, they will have lots of memories to add to their own tree!

rachel said...

Hilarious! I love making old people nervous :) Sometimes those "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments can be kinda tacky because there is such a huge market for them. Sock monkeys never lose their cool :)